Desire to post + no ideas = shitty topic
Well then, here I am, without even an adequate introduction, which might be partially cause the topic does suck. Why can't anyone make good videogames? I think that at least every tenth gamer has at least one good idea for a game during their lifetime. I had two so far, although I found that one of them had been done already. I always wanted a skill based action game which didn't just test your reflexes. So why not have a medieval fighter where you can control your weapon with your joystick. The left joystick would be forward, backward, and strafe movement, and the right would control your camera from a first person perspective. The right trigger would control how extended your weapon is and the left trigger would be block/dodge. When not in combat it would work just as a regular first person shooter, and when you have your weapon drawn the right stick would control the position of your weapon and would only scroll your view when your weapon reaches the side of the screen. Clicking the left stick would allow you to lock on to targets and cycle them and the right stick would allow you to perform a stab with your off hand weapon if you have one. By holding block and pulling in a direction you try to move into a direction which would make you dodge a strike coming from that direction, and would position your shield if you have one in the direction of the strike. Ranged weapons would be a viable alternative and would just work as in a normal first person shooter, and magicians would have to draw patterns in the air with their hands to cast spells, and depending on how good they do it the spell is cast better. Just that bare concept already allows for a lot of deep strategy. Apparently though there was already a game like that, although it was on pc, where you used your mouse to control your sword. But it didn't work on pc because movement was too clumsy with just the keyboard. I still think it's a great idea though, especially if it was multiplayer.
My other idea was a gangster game somewhat like gta. It would be an online first or third person shooter with driving elements and persistent and temporary randomized cities where players try to frantically build up their power through criminal activities. Each player would only be given one life and when they die, they die. Last man standing games wouldn't allow new players to enter when the game is going and would be short games where building your empire is highly accelerated and have the sole goal of eliminating all other human characters. A lot of settings could be tuned by the host such as the effective game speed, availability of weapons, power of entrenched criminal forces, police activity, that sort of thing since each city would be randomized at the start. Persistent worlds could allow intercity travel and much slower empire development but also, offer a much bigger challenge in bringing them down, and allowing a player or organization to keep what they built up while they're gone through the AI men in their empire, as well as letting additional players join while the game is going on. There could even be wars between organizations in different cities. It could work well with advanced AI interaction but I suspect the short elimination games would be more popular and simpler to do. They key would lie in the randomized cities because they could prevent each game degrading into a pattern depending on which city it is. The only advantage you could have would be your reaction time and ability to adapt to situations. The game could have voice but I don't think it would be absolutely necessary, although useful. The game should definitely give you the ability to blend in by having a mode where your character automatically responds as an AI passerby would to nearby events, except you still control your movement. That would allow you to blend in and I think that's just really cool.
How many World War 2 games have there been? Too many that's for sure. So why hasn't anyone just tried to build a simulation of war that's not even much of a game. Say a first person shooter where you get to be just a random soldier somewhere and you get to feel how stupid and hopeless the fighting was. I want to see a game which will at least have a mode where you're just a normal soldier who will probably be dead in 5 minutes and get thrown into this combat situation you barely know anything about, like it was in real life. A game where instead of playing with the knowledge that you'll respawn if you fail so you can try again you're just experiencing the hopeless situation and trying to survive rather than achieve some objective. The game could just be a series of completely unrelated situations which you unlock one by one by simply surviving the conflict. If you wanted to go all gung-ho you could, and if you wanted to act sensible you could too, and above all it would feel real and the consequences for your behavior apparent. I think it could even net a profit.
Why can't developers hire professional story writers to make their games so much more appealing. I'm sure it's not nearly that huge of an investment, but good stories always improve the game dramatically. I can forgive a game so much for a cool story.
And lastly why are people so uncreative, as I said there are more good game ideas out there than could possibly be made, so why don't they happen. Creative games are a novelty, what the hell is up with that. There has only been one game that has ever positively surprised me and that game was Black and White. Is there really just one game that can do that?
Field Biology is hella fun, I may even overcome my arachnophobia this way. I didn't really catch much of notice today, and a grasshopper shat on me that bastard, but I caught the most it seems. Gooler caught this huge spider, which barely fit in the vial where we were supposed to put it, and I caught a large furry black caterpillar for Mickey (cause she noticed it first), and Victor caught a dragonfly with a wingspan of about the diameter of a cd, and Hannah caught a walking stick. Anyone who doesn't do bug bio sometime during their time at uni is missing out considerably.
I wonder why student council "decided" to do the senior trip during the winter. I mean the primary attraction of Wisconsin Dells are the huge nationally famous paintball fields, and the winter is a very shitty time to be doing that. I heard from someone that we're supposed to stay inside and dissolve class beef. Umm, great. I also heard there were going to be 8 people condos. I think I speak for everyone when I say I really don't want Tomek to ruin this. I think we have 8 people… me, Dan, Ben, Kyle, Yang, Barr, Yuki, Jerry? Hopefully the condos will have 4 tvs in each, that would rock. Halo 2 will be out by then and I will have a great time greasing peeps if Tomek isn't buzzing around. I hope he goes to Poland or something. Meh. Dissolve class beef my ass…

5 Comments:
the senior trip is always in the winter. usually because college apps are done by then, and it's not in the spring when everyone's scrambling to graduate, and in the past, work on debates.
-betsy
So you're too "busy" in the spring to spend a couple days in Wisconsin Dells. C'mon your grades barely mean anything at that time. And you could do it during spring break, I'd go for that. I'm not so much opposed to doing it in the winter, I'm opposed to wasting money going somewhere when it's cold and going outside sucks. You can just rent an apartment building here with the same effect...
You made videogames a lot more interesting than I would have suspected, mostly because I like your game ideas, yo. I should get back into gaming. My main problem with gaming is that I don't feel I have time for it. But if I chopped away all these aimless hours spent playing Text Twist and reading blogs, maybe I would have time. Going to EB triggered deep longings that I've been repressing for oh so many years.
Bow down to the videogame gods Jerry, they are your friends...
kirill's blog is no longer fun to crash in on. out!
Post a Comment
<< Home