Friday, October 22, 2004

Interesting Stuff

After a short, but very dense conversation between Ben, Dan, and myself as I was driving them home after watching Ferris Bueller's Day Out, I have come up with an idea. We talked about our class, about people's problems, differences, inabilities. All this led me to realize that I wonder what people think about me, because I really don't know. So I got the idea that there could be this messageboard or something where every person in our class has their own forum, and each thread within it starts with a person's opinion on the owner of the forum, and continues with arguments in support or in denial of that opinion. Of course I realize that most people wouldn't be honest and that would ruin, but I still want to try. I'm just too curious about the effect I have on people not in direct contact with me. It's interesting stuff...

11 Comments:

Blogger Lee the Agent said...

It's true. I often feel worst about the comments I don't hear, because I can't react. I can't argue against them or react to them or even just realize they're right and learn from them. That's why I worry about our attitude to Tomek. Even though I can imagine a version of myself that didn't want that, I'd want it for him.

11:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i read a book once where this group of friends take sheets of paper and everybody writes down the best and worst qualities of everyone else and what they think of them, etc. as a way to get that info across without hruting feelings or having them know it was you. but in the end they just all get pissed off at each other for what the other ones write, and this one girl just bursts into tears and says 'you think i'm a fat freak! you ALL do.'

-meredith

11:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wouldn't work at all. too many unhonest people. but if it could work, it'd be great. it'd also have to be completely anonymous, but then i'm sure someone would pose as someone else, etc. people are dumb. anyway, we could actually do this when we get a posse get together and we may actually be able to do it seriously.

1:43 PM  
Blogger Ataraxis said...

There is no way it would be anonymous. Anonymity + Audience = Fuckwad (Shitcock!). And even if people aren't honest, it would be nice to figure out who would lie or not at least. And who breaks down under perceived pressure and who doesn't.

3:50 PM  
Blogger Ataraxis said...

Also, if people start getting pissed at each other, they shouldn't interact in the first place. If after someone says that they think you're fat, and you react by saying "everyone thinks I'm fat" and breaks down they deserve no sympathy whatsoever. We all have our inherent problems, being fat is not nearly as bad as being stupid for example. And even if everyone thinks you're fat, I guess that means you are, live with it. Jesus people.

3:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you should start it, even if you think failure will be inevitable and quick to arrive, there's always the off chance something important will show up, and that's worth everything.

12:47 AM  
Blogger Lee the Agent said...

I'd be interested in seeing that, and we do still have the old forum.

1:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i wouldnt want things to be public if someone was posting possibly negative things about me, but i think everyone wants to know what people think of them, even if they wont admit it. i know you said the paper thing turned out bad, but sometimes i wish i could have people do that for each other, because everyone at our school (including me) is either too blunt and mean or too much of a pussy, and you can never tell how people really feel

5:14 PM  
Blogger Ataraxis said...

That's exactly what pisses me off so much, I just don't understand why people want to hide negative things. I wouldn't say shit to the person's face, that way it has an effect beyond its meaning. But if you write it, I think it's really devoid of emotion if it's written right. Maybe I'm a bad example because I don't like to read and I don't see emotion in writing, but still, people say shit to me all the time, and I don't care much, even if some of it is true and it is said with malicious intent. Besides the whole point of this is to find out what specific people think about you, if someone submits something really hateful anonymously ten times, that doesn't mean shit, but there would be almost no way to tell. And also who is that anonymous person who wants anonymity posting comments here? Names are appreciated, just look at meredith.

9:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Something will come about it. Just do it.

-Dan

10:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Something will come about it. Just do it.

-Dan

10:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home